High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Is it too late to change my petition?

Q: I filed a petition in family court for custody with visitation back in February. This was my first time going and I had not real clue as to how to complete one, meaning what I should put in the petition. A friend said keep it short and to the point. But many factors lead me to file this petition after 6 months of trying to avoid going to court. Fast forward to current, I had my paperwork reviewed following distrust in my current lawyer. Another lawyer reviewed my documents, gave their honest assessment and stated what I have is weak and I list nothing to back up my statements. I am weeks away from our first preliminary and return of process. Do not know what those mean either.

A: As a general rule, you can file an amended petition. It can either be done on consent of the other party, or you may need to file a motion seeking the Judge’s permission to file an amended petition. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network