High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

If i have sole legal and physical custody can my boyfriend adopt my child even if we aren’t married?

Q: I was granted sole legal and physical custody of my daughter by a judge when she was either 8 or 9 yrs old and my daughter has no contact with her biological father nor has any desire to have contact with him but wants my fiance to adopt her can we do that or do we still need the biological father’s consent?

A: You don’t necessarily have to be married in order for your boyfriend to adopt. Also, you may not need the Bio Father’s consent so long as you can prove he legally abandoned the child. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Adoption Attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network