High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can I pay for my legal fees from our marital money?

Q: I paid the retainer fee from my credit card. Now, after divorce has been filed can I pay for my attorney fees from our marital money? 

A: You are indeed allowed to pay counsel fees from cash accounts – just not from retirement accounts without the other party’s express permission or court approval. This is with the proviso that it would be considered as coming out of your share of those accounts. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Divorce attorney for a full assessment. 

FindLaw Network