High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

My son’s father never paid the child support he owes $56,000 he quit his job to not pay. Can I get his stimulus?

Q: My son is 30 yrs. Old this dude never helped me at all. He has not filed his taxes in 3 yrs. He says he refuses so I wouldn’t get anything. Now how wicked is that? He said he’s gonna get it amended because he been in and out of jail. I’ve struggled as a single mother thank God for his help. I got my son through high school through his disability. I was able to go to school as well. I have two degrees I’m truly blessed. Oh no, got a little bit carried away, please excuse me. Just had that one question. Anyone that just never really paid their court ordered support should not get the stimulus it is a tax break and it should be given to that single mother who struggled and did everything from the roof over the child’s head, all the hospital visits to getting their child through school. 

A: To get any kind of tax refund, you would’ve already needed to have a money judgment in place for the support arrears. Additionally, for an automatic intercept of his refund, the support would’ve needed to be paid via SCU. If you don’t have a judgment in place, file a Violation petition with Family Court. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Support attorney for a full assessment. 

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge