High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

If a person parental rights is taken due to him not showing up in court is he still responsible to pay child support?

Q: My children’s father did not show up to court for the hearing therefore his parental rights was taken I am a single mom of 4 boys in which two boys belong to him I am struggling to take care of my children due to no financial help his children are my oldest they require a lot I have them in sports and in September 2019 one of them will be attending Cardinal Hayes I will need help with tuition can I take him to court for child support?

A: Generally “parental rights” are not terminated unless the case was a foster care case or an adoption proceeding. He may have lost his visitation rights, but so long as his parental rights were not terminated, he’d still have an obligation of child support. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Family Law attorney for a full assessment. 

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge