High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

How do I get permanent SOLE custody?

Q: I was just awarded SOLE custody temporarily pending a full custody hearing starting next week. This all came about because my ex-wife dropped my 17 year old son off at my house at 7am Saturday morning saying “he’s all yours” with just the clothes on his back and his school back pack knowing I live in a different state and that he had final exams to finish out his junior year in high school. She did this because earlier in the week he told her that he wanted to come and live with me because he has a terrible relationship with her. He is adamant that he does not want to go back and he wants nothing to do with his mother at all. 

A: There’s no such thing as “permanent” custody, as all custody & visitation orders are subject to modification. That said, the mother would need to prove a “change of circumstances” warranting that modification – and the court loses jurisdiction to modify at age 18. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Custody attorney for more info 

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge