High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

If I’m the non-custodial parent can my 20 year old son decide to live with me with no legal repercussions?

Q: My ex-girlfriend had custody of my son for the last 20 years and lived out of state. Now he wants to live with me in New York. I’m not fighting to stop child support I’m just more concerned if you can get a New York state ID and start working without any issues. I want to make sure I’m doing everything by the book. Is it better if he just doesn’t work or get a license here in New York until he’s 21? 

A: If custody was done per a NY order, then the answer is yes as he’s an adult for custody purposes. If the order was done in the other state, then you’d need to consult an attorney there. Call a Bronx Child Support attorney for more info.

FindLaw Network