Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

I got a temporary custody signed by both parent from a lawyer in Jamaica WI can I file custody on grounds of abandonment

Q: I got a temporary custody signed by both parent from a lawyer in Jamaica WI granting me unspecified length of temporary custody. Mom now gained papers to stay in the USA and wants her to the child to get public assistance and tax benefits. The child is now 13 and wants to remain in my household. Do I have any legal rights to keep the child? Can I take the mom to court for custody? Basically the child was abandoned for the 5 years. No financial support was taken from the government nor have the family of the child give me any money to care for her these 5 years. Dad is in jail for murder and is facing life in prison in Jamaica WI. Mom got an arranged marriage to get papers and is not stable. The child is not blood related to me but I love and cared for this child from 8years old to now 13 years old 

A: If the parents abandoned the child by failing to have substantial contact with the child for more than 6 months, then you'd qualify to adopt the child. This would effectively terminate parental rights. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Adoption attorney for a full assessment. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
19 Court Street
Suite 206
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions