High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

My son is a US citizen and we are living in Trinidad, can I file for child support for his father in NY to pay and how?

Q: My husband sent me divorce papers and it’s saying I can’t file for child support until my son and myself is in NY.. I’m not going NY anytime soon and he don’t do anything for my son so is there a way I can file child support in Trinidad and he can pay it from NY?

A: To file in Trinidad, you’d need to speak with a Trinidadian attorney. You may be able to file in NY, especially if trinidad would have no basis for jurisdiction over him. Forms & instructions are online at: http://www.nycourts.gov/index.shtml. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge