High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

How to extend child support after a child reaches 18 years of age and graduates from High School and goes to college?

Q: I have 2 daughters that will be graduating high school within the next 2 years. One is 16 and the other is 17 years old and we live in Westchester, NY. Do I need to go back to court to extend child support or does it happen automatically? Thanks

A: It happens automatically. That said, contributions toward college does NOT happen automatically – (unless part of a prior order) a petition needs to be filed to include costs of college on top of the basic child support. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network