High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can a father being Detained by ice can have right for visitation?

Q: I am the Biological mother of my child and have sole custody but the aunt/sister of the father file a power of attorney to have right to take my child and visit the father in a detention center/jail in jersey of immigration?

A: Family Courts generally don’t honor “powers of attorney.” As to whether its appropriate for the father to continue having his visits in detention, that’s another question. Ultimately if you disagree with same, you need to file a modification petition (assuming he has a visitation order). Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network