High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can I change the grounds for divorce from uncontested to adultry after a divorce decree has been signed after 5 yrs?

Q: I wish to remarry. But because of my religion , I can only do so if my first marriage ended on the grounds of adultry. My ex wife filed for the divorce, but she filed for an uncontested divorce.

A: If you’re already divorced, you cannot get “re-divorced.” And while in theory you could have filed a motion to re-open the divorce proceeding, it;s extremely unlikely the court would allow the motion 5 years after-the-fact. Call a Westchester Divorce attorney for more info.

FindLaw Network