High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can a child support judgement through the Social Service of the NYS still be in effect?

Q: A friend of mine received a noticed back in 2005 he owed 32,000 in child support through Social Services. He looked up his legal records for liens and judgements and it states 16,600.00 with a “TRA ” as a code. All NYS tax commission judgements have been vacated, but Social Services comes up as TRA. His kids are in their 30’s and 40’s now. The last filed lien was in 1994 but the most recent letter was in 2005. What does all this mean?

A: Child Support judgments are generally good for 20 years. That said, they can generally keep renewing them until the youngest child is 21 – in which case they can keep collecting until the youngest child is 41. Your friend is well advised to collect copies of all judgments & orders form the courthouse, then bring them to an attorney for a review. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Support attorney.

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge