High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can I have my child enrolled into a less expensive college because of financial hardship even though it is court ordered?

Q: Went through a divorce and on divorce paper it says that I will help college fees, after about 1 year of paying and tuition rising its getting harder. Do she have to stay in same college, can I get her into a less expensive college because I can no longer pay?

A: It depends largely on what your agreement says – and what your basis is to move to modify. If the agreement was open-ended at to costs and you have not had a substantial change of circumstances in your finances, it’s unlikely the court will grant you relief. That said, you should schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network