High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Would I have to pay his father child support because I make more money? How much would a divorce cost (there are no assets)?

Q: I live in NY. I left my husband 11 years ago but never filed for divorce because of the cost. I also took our son with me, who is now 14. I have dragged my feet long enough and I want to file for divorce and just be free of him. I work two jobs and make more money than him. He only spends about one weekend day a week with our son and it’s not consistently every week. Would I still be entitled to the full 17% of his gross pay for child support and would a judge award anything for the 11 years that he hasn’t given us anything? Thank you.

A: You would most likely still be entitled to the full 17%, but one would need to assess all particular factors in your case. That said, how much your case may cost is dependent on a number of factors, such as whether there’s any other issues in the case, whether particular issues are contested, etc. You’re best advised to schedule a consult with a Bronx Divorce attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge