Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

What should I do as the spouse of a mentally ill Non Custodial Parent who has a child support hearing and cannot attend?

Q: My husband owes money for child support arrears. He has not worked in many years. He was undiagnosed until about 2 months ago with Bipolar I, after being hospitalized. He is unable to leave the house due to delusions and manic behaviors. He has had several episodes and cannot attend the court hearing scheduled. What can I do? Can I go in his place? Can I ask the court for a modification? Can I ask for the hearing to be reschedule until my husband has become stable? Please note that he is under a Psychiatrists, therapists,and neurologists care. Any guidance is very much appreciated

A: You cannot go in his place. You're best advised to retain an attorney, who would be able to present the proper evidence of his disability to the Court - and yes, he should file a downward modification petition. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Divorce attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions