High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

I’m 18 years old and my mom is trying to kick me out. Can I put her on child support if she does kick me out?

Q: I’m 18 and my mom wants to kick me out. She says I should be helping for the rent when my mom makes enough to knock out the rent in one weeks pay. She spends all her money on outside food, shopping and to my younger siblings (17 y.o brother and 11 y.o sister) I don’t make enough money to give the amount of money she wants for the rent. She doesn’t buy me absolutely anything, I’ve been working since I was 14 because I realized if I depended on her to buy me new shoes or clothes I’ll be walking around barefooted. She’s been saying she wanted to kick me out since I was 17. I have ran away before because her verbal abuse was too much for me when I was 14 years old. I looked online and it says I can put her on child support till I’m 21, I’m not sure how that works or if I have to be in school or not. I have no where else to go, no family or anything like that.

A: Yes, you can self-petition for child support. FCA 422(a) allows a “child” to “originate a proceeding” for child support. Go to Family Court in the county your Mother resides in & file the petition. However, anticipate her making the argument that you have emancipated yourself by virtue of your actions. Call a Bronx Family Law attorney for more info.

FindLaw Network