High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can I file for divorce due to desertion if my husband left 31 yrs. ago and I can’t find him? What can I do?

Q: I got married in 1987. My “husband” lived with me for 6 months. He left and I have tried to track him down, but am unable to find him. I want to remarry, but I don’t know how to proceed in New York City so that I can obtain a divorce without his signature.

A: You can proceed on a divorce filing, but you may need to hire a P.I. in conjunction with the divorce. If he still can’t be found, then you may need to request court approval for “publication notice.” Schedule a consult with a Bronx Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network