High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Biological father wants visitation with teenager

Q: Bio father served me with visitation papers after not seeing his child since he was 3 years old. Child is 14 years old with a crazy athletic schedule. Child has always been told that if he ever wants to spend time or meet all he has to do is ask but child wants nothing to do with him not even speak to him. What do I do? Will court force him to be with this man on weekends even though he doesn’t want to be around him?

A: Usually if there’s been a long absence, the court will start slow – say with a few hours on a day visit, and only progressing to more visitation if all goes well. That said, the court may consider some form of supervised visitation and/or counseling if there’s other risk factors involved. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge