Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

I am planning on filing for divorce from my husband who is African. But he has gone back to Africa. Can I still get divorced?

Q: My husband and I have been married for two years, he is not a US citizen and I found out by my neighbor that he went back to Africa. He knew that I was filing for divorce from him and he ran away from the marriage. Do I need his signature on the divorce papers and can I still get a divorce?

A: You don't necessarily need his signature, but you would otherwise need to have him served. Thus, you'd need to track him down in that country, and then determine whether the country he's in is a signatory on the Hague Convention on Service Abroad (this will govern the method of service). Schedule a consult with a Bronx Divorce attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions