High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

How to avoid paying high child support when I just lost my job?

Q: I have a child support order from 2015 which I abided by and paid all child support in time. I lost my job recently and I want to file for modification but last year I made more than what I made in 2014 based on which my child support obligation was calculated.
Is it wise for me to file for modification or continue to look for a job and pay child support when I dont have a job?

A: If you recently lost your job thru no fault of your own, then file the modification petition. You’re required to produce proof you were not fired or quit, along with evidence of your diligent job search. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge