High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Do I have to appear in court if I wasn’t served with any court papers ?

Q: My niece and nephew mother petitioned me for custody of her children but I haven’t been served any papers. She lost her rights to the children 10 years ago and I now have guardianship of them am I supposed to appear in court if no one served me the proper paperwork

A: If you weren’t served with the court summons, then you do not technically need to appear in court. That said, one would need to assess how it was that you came to learn of the court date. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network