High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Legally ending Child Support

Q: I have been paying child support for my son from ages 9- 21, withheld from my paycheck ( $400.00 every two weeks) Now due to a disability (Pending) the Social Security Administration is withholding $945.00 per month from my SS. Told by SSA it’s a Child Support matter and to contact them, they agree a mistake was made and my case was purged 12 years ago ( when son turned 21) Was never given any legal papers stating all my obligations were fulfilled, was called into CSEWEB office and told its over. Have nothing legal or in writting, doesn’t the Court have to terminate the order..

A: The short answer is: yes, any order of support would need to be terminated by the Court. The Support Collection Unit has no authority to either cancel or reduce arrears, or terminate the order. You’re best advised to schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network