High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

How do i receive overpayment of child support from noncustodial parent?

Q: I have sole legal and physical custody of my daughter. Last time i went to court for child support, the order was temporarily reduced for a year. Now her dad has a new job and our child support account reflects multiple payments every single week. Since the order itself mandates him him to ONLY pay a set amount, now that hes back on his feet there is an over payment of arrears for $2200. How can i receive this amount that is literally sitting in the hands of the Collection unit and cannot be touched. Is it even an option to get this entire amount paid to me? Would we both have to appear in court again to get this settled?

A: If he overpaid, then this money should not be distributed to you. They’ll likely either return it to him, or hold it in the event he fals behind again. Call a Bronx Child Support attorney for more info.

FindLaw Network