High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can my ex wife move to Florida with my two girls without my consent? We’re in New York.

Q: We are legally divorced for over 3 years and haven’t gone thru the courts for anything other than the divorce. We’ve handled every thing else between each other. Now she wants to move by end of June to Florida.

A: The short answer is: most likely not. Assuming custody/visitation was addressed within the divorce judgment (it usually is), then she either needs your express consent or court permission to be able to relocate. If she’s confirmed her intentions, you may wish to file a petition with the Family Court to request an order preventing the relocation. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Divorce Attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network