High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

I have petitioned for child support in NY, have a date for initial hearing but live in London and cannot make it. What to do?

Q: My children’s father pays no child support. He lives in NY. We were married in NY, divorced in the UK. Both children were born in NY and are citizens as is he. They now live with me in London. Today I received a letter advising me a date for an initial hearing in NY. However I live in London and cannot attend. Please advise. 

A: You should file an application to appear by phone. You should also consider retaining an attorney to represent you, as it’ll otherwise be quite hard to introduce evidence, as well as see evidence being submitted in real-time (& thus be able to effectively challenge it). Call a Westchester Child Support attorney to schedule a consult. 

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge