High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can 18 year old child who’s still living with custodial parent be emancipated if working full time in NYC?

Q: Will they be emancipated if working full time but still living with custodial parent?

A: I disagree with the other attorney that the answer is a clear “no.” Citing to an extreme, if the “child” is earning $250,000+ annually, but choosing to still live with the mother, would they not be emancipated? Of course the answer is yes – and thus it depends on whether the child is earning sufficient income to otherwise be living independently, such that remaining with the mother is simply a voluntary choice. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Support attorney for a full assessment. 

FindLaw Network