High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can I file for child support or spousal support?

Q: Would like to know if I can get child support or spousal support from my husband,we have been separated since last March,we have 2 children lived together married for 10 years, he did not support us financially then nor now, we are currently in family court due to me having to get a restraining order but because he attacks me in front of the kids and there is a history of DV, it is a neglect case with ACS involved, we are sharing the kids equally now until the court decides. When I left him I only left with the little money I had and our kids,it was hard for me and had to decide to have the kids going back and forth just so I could find a job and a stable home I was too scared to have my children in the shelter system. I would like to know if I can get any kind of support for my kids when I have them.

A: Whether you qualify for spousal support would depend primarily on the disparity of income between the two of you (though there are numerous other factors which would need to be assessed). As for child support, if you share custody, then one would need to know the incomes to determine whether you’re entitled to any support. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Family Law attorney for a full assessment. 

FindLaw Network