Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Can I write a letter to the court to forgive Child Support Arrears of $49,000 along with forgiving NYS interest? My son is 19.

Q: I've had a long run with my son's father that has built up $48,876.00 in Child support arrears since 1999. This also includes state interest for many years. I believe what he owes my child in support from the 49K is about 30K. The rest would go to state interest and fees but I'd like to remove this completely. Can I write a letter of child support arrears forgiveness to give my son's father his life back (bank accounts, passports, etc.) and would Bronx Family Court forgive the interest if I requested?

A: You would need to file a Petition to Vacate Arrears, and then the court would need to allocute you such that you're aware you're entitled to the money irrespective of whether the father thinks he can pay or not - and that once you waive it, you can't come back to court later to reinstate it. Call a Bronx Child Support attorney for more info. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions