Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

How will a home, recently transferred ownership from son to father, be treated during parent's divorce?

Q: Parents will begin divorce procedure. All children are adults. The home was originally the parent's but they transferred ownership to son about 10 years ago. Son wants to ensure mother gets her share but father won't cooperate. Will transferring ownership to father immediately before filling for divorce help when court does equitable distribution? Will home be split? 

A: If the house in question has long-since been in the name of the son, then what the son gives to his mother is up to the son. It's no longer a matter of the father "not cooperating" as that's no longer claim which can be raised in the divorce case (unless I'm missing something). Either party to the divorce should be advised to call a Westchester family Law attorney to schedule a consult for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions