Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Can non custodial parent pay less child support if quits job and moves out of state?

Q: My daughter's father is on child support and has his checks garnished. A few months ago I found out that he will be moving to Florida. He works as an EMT and I just received papers that he wants his child support lowered and for the arrears to be lowered as well. He owes about 3000 in arrears. The explanation on the summons says he no longer works at his job since he will be moving out of state and is also now experiencing financial hardship. Can he just quit his job and have his child support payments be the minimum? I don't think it is fair that he doesn't want to pay when he willingly quit his job. He currently pays 191 biweekly. If he moves out of state, I know he will get another job so then how will I get the child support recalculated if I live in New York and he lives in Florida? 

A: No - the general rule is if one voluntarily quits, one does not receive any reduction of child support. It would be his burden to prove he had no virtual choice but to quit, which seems like a hard burden to meet. Call a Bronx Child Support attorney to schedule a consult for a full assessment. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions