Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Where do I file the petition for custody?

Q: I am the mother of a 3 month old daughter. I was living in Nassau County, New York (Massapequa) until October 1st 2017. I am now residing in Bronx, New York. I filed a petition for an order of protection while I was living in Nassau County but it was vacated and I have to amend the petition. We go back to court at the end of January. Since this is taking place in Nassau family court do I file the petition for custody in Nassau Family Court or do I file in Bronx County Family Court because I am residing with my child in the Bronx? 

A: You should file the custody petition in the Bronx. You can always make a request to the Family Court Judge in Nassau to consolidate the two cases & transfer it to the Bronx. Call a Bronx Family Law attorney to schedule a consult for a full assessment. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions