Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

If custodial parent dies and there is an arrears and child is over 21, what steps should non-custodial parent take?

Q: Custodial parent lives in florida and the non-custodial parent lives in New York. I have been paying my support and arrears weekly. The custodial parent died and the child is 21 years of age. The child has been away at college on scholarship and now is home living with grandparents and hasn't been living with custodial parent prior to death and not attending school and has been working. Now the child will be residing with non-custodial parent in New York and planning on returning to school later next year with the financial help of non- custodial parent 

A: Assuming its a NY child support order, file a termination petition. If the mother had an estate, however, it's still possible you would need to re-pay the arrears to the estate. Call a White Plains Child Support attorney for a full assessment 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions