High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

How long does it take to enforce a New York Child Support Order against a noncustodial parent residing in the UK?

Q: My ex moved to the UK and has decided to stop paying child support. He is 18,750 in arrears so far. I filed an open case with the office of child support enforcement in New York, but I am having difficultly getting information on how the process works and how long it takes. I believe I have located his employer and I do have an accurate home address. 

A: Unless the employer has ties to the U.S., or the father has bank accounts with international ties (Most major commercial banks do), then you’d need to enforce the support via the U.S. Office of Child Support Enforcement (https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/a…). Be sure you’ve first reduced the arrears to an enforceable money judgment in NY Family Court. Call a Westchester Child Support attorney for more info. 

FindLaw Network