High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can a child support order be cancelled if both parties agree?

Q: My ex and I have a child support order in the state of New York. We have agreed to handle the care of our child outside of the court. I pay all expenses for my child and provide way more money than the order calls for. We would like to completely do away with child support and the courts. How do we request this? What is the action called? 

A: Yes – the custodial parent may file a termination petition with the Family Court. That said, it’s something s/he may always reinstate. Call a Westchester Family Law attorney for more info. 

FindLaw Network