High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

How can I make sure it is noted I have full custody ?

Q: My baby is 9 months old and her father hasnt been present for the most part . He refuses to go on child support and says he is in debt right now and has no job so that he needs time . Its been months of this . My question is – since Im the one taking care of her and providing for her is there anyway it can be legally noted that I have full custody ? I dont feel safe with joint custody – he has a violent record and past and wont risk that when it comes to my child.

A: If you want it “noted” the way to do so is by filing a petition for sole custody in Family Court. Based on what you’ve stated, you seem to be a good candidate to receive it. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network