High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

OSC for contempt. Out of state divorce governed by the Supreme Court. Is a county court general jurisdiction the proper court fo

Q: divorce judgment it has to be in a court of competent jurisdiction. Is the court of General jurisdiction in New York state a court of competent jurisdiction equal to the Supreme Court of Florida? My question is the court in which is an ordere to show-cause is filed in a court of General jurisdiction not the Supreme Court. . In the order for enforce my final judgement of divorce , my case should be heard in a court of competent jurisdiction , NYS COURT is not a Supreme Court changed. I’m concerned that court of General jurisdiction is not the right Court for the origin show cause to be filed with . Any assistance would be greatly appreciated .

A: David’s Answer: It’s a little unclear what you’re asking, so it depends on what you’re trying to modify or enforce. If custody, visitation or support is an issue, then NY would need to have proper jurisdiction pursuant to UIFSA/UCCJEA. Then the Court of “competent jurisdiction” is either Supreme or Family Court – assuming Florida no longer has proper jurisdiction. If it’s financial issues other than support, then it’s Supreme Court – again assuming Florida no longer has proper jurisdiction. Schedule a consult with a White Plains Divorce attorney for a full assessment. 

FindLaw Network