High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

If I file for child support do I have to change my sons last name to his father’s once the dna confirms paternity?

Q: My son is 12 years old and now is when my child father’s family members are looking for my son. My son’s father has never looked for or wanted anything to do with my son and still wants nothing to do with my son. My son currently has my last name and has had it since birth. If I file for child support am I required by law to change my son’s last name to his father’s last name or can my son stay with my last name?

A: David’s Answer: No, you’re not required to change the name merely because you file for child support. Whether a court would order a name change would be done via a “name change” proceeding in civil court. But at his age, I see that as unlikely to be granted. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Family Law attorney for more info.

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge