High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can I petition to have my child adopted rather than give away custody ?

Q: I need to permanately remove myself from my 15 year olds life. Every year I’m fighting new charges against me because of her. I don’t want any part of her life including paying child support. If I’m sued for custody I would be facing that.

A: David’s Answer:
You cannot force an adoption proceeding, nor is there a mechanism under NY law to terminate one’s own parental rights. If you’re the non-custodial parent, then you may wish to either discuss the issue with the custodial parent, or make an application for emancipation. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Custody attorney for a full assessment. 

FindLaw Network