Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

I want to move out before I file for divorce. How can I protect my rights when I move out?

Q: 1. Married for 37 years.
2. My spouse is 68 years and earns high income. I work part time and low income
3. Has 401 k and retirement plan
4. We own 3 properties
5. No debts.
I want to make sure that nothing gets touched when I move out and file for divorce later. At the time of filing for divorce I don't want to be in the same place.

A: David's Answer: Mere possession doesn't affect asset distribution in a divorce - thus, you're generally able to move out (especially when there's no minor children involved) without repercussions. If you need money to move out, you can file a petition for spousal support in the Family Court first before filing for divorce. Bear in mind, however, that a mere Family Court filing doesn't restrain him from disposing of property/assets - only a divorce filing does so. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Divorce attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions