Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Child support recalculation - How to calculate FICA deductions on an income cap?

Q: I am recalculating child support (done every 3 years averaging income.) My agreement reads that "recalculation shall be based upon Husband's income only, up to $200K." In 2 of the past 3 years his income exceeded $200K ($253K and $203K respectively.) FICA deductions need to be considered in calculating his AGI. Am I correct in determining the rate at which FICA was calculated on his total gross income ($253K and $203K) and proportionally deduct the same percentage from $200K? This seems like the logical way to calculate.

He lives in Florida, we were divorced and I reside in NY with our 2 children. Thank you for your assistance.

A: David's Answer: No - to arrive at "adjusted gross income" for calculation purposes, one starts with gross, subtracts out FICA, and then runs the percentage (17%, 25%, etc) from there. Hopefully your agreement also specifies whether the "income up to $200" is gross v. "adjusted gross." Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions