Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

If child is 21 and drops out of college but cannot support himself, is he automatically emancipated?

Q: My son turned 21 and does not want to continue college but cannot support himself. He was supposed to graduate when he turned 22 after which child support would end. My ex declared my son emancipated and immediately ceased child support a year early without any discussion with my son or myself. It came as a surprise.

A: David's Answer: Assuming your support is governed by a divorce settlement agreement, then your answer depends on the precise wording of the agreement. Usually such agreements only extend support beyond 21 if the child continues to be full-time enrolled - but a definitive assessment can be made only after a review of the agreement. Call a Westchester Child Support attorney to schedule a consult.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions