High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Child Visitation?

Q: I am taking my daughter’s mother to court for visitation rights. She has kept me from seeing my child for a year. They live in Florida and I live in the Bronx. Before moving to Florida, we had a verbal agreement that I would see my child during the summer time and Christmas. That verbal agreement was violated. The mother cut off all communication I had with my daughter by purposely changing her number and disconnecting her old phone line. The mother has been served and the court date is next week. What are demands I can bring to court so that this does not happen again.

A: David’s Answer: Preliminarily, if the child’s been living in Florida for more than 6 months, then that state is the child’s “home state” & you’d then need to pursue your visitation case in Florida. If there is a prior order of custody/visitation from NY, then what “demands” you’ll need to raise depends on the precise wording of your prior order. If you believe NY may be the child’s “home state,” then call a Bronx Child Custody attorney to schedule a consult. 

FindLaw Network