High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Child support on external account?

Q: The father of my son is depositing child support on western union not child support account. He doesnt want to comply with child support orders and wants to do his way. Court date is in a month. Can he do this? What could happen at court? Should I take this money or wait for court date?

A: David’s Answer: If there is a court order requiring him to pay via SCU, and he’s instead having Western Union send you notices to come pick-up the money, then he’s technically violating the order. Whether you accept the money now (you may endorse the money order “With Reservation” above your signature) depends on how desperate your financial situation is. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Support attorney for a full assessment. 

FindLaw Network