High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can a case be reopen after 5 years?

Q: my ex-girlfriend took me to court for domestic violence. I have not seen her in 6 or 7 years. she file right after I file for my visitation rights to see my son. And I got served with court papers so now they doing an investigation and they put my court court day on hold for my visitation rights to see my son. in sept. 2012 I was stop by the cops cause they thought I had an open beer while they went and check in the system the 2012 domestic violence called she made pop-up. they called her but she never answer so the police officer told me the case will be dismissed so they never process any paper work and the release me.

A: David’s Answer: I’m not sure what you mean by “re-opened?” Do you mean that the original case filed 5 years ago was closed & someone’s filed a motion to re-open that case, or do you mean someone’s filed a new case containing the prior allegations? Also, is your case in criminal court or Family Court? Schedule a consult with a Bronx Domestic Violence attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network