High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Will a written agreement between my ex and I stating we agree to keep romantic partners away from child be admissible in court?

Q: Hello, can my ex and I establish a written agreement for both parties to keep any new partners away from our child, also can this agreement be admissible in court if the agreement is broken? I want to establish this written agreement for safety concerns. My daughter is a non-verbal two and a half year old with PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified). This is “atypical autism.” Her father is already exposing her to women and I am fearful for my child’s safety and well being. If my child is abused or neglected by his new partner, my child cannot express that to me.

A: David’s Answer: Parents can certainly do out-of-court parenting agreements – and even include provisions along the lines of what you mentioned. They are not strictly “enforceable” such that a Court can impose penalties on the violator, but it may be used in Court as a factor in showing the other parent isn’t acting in the child’s best interests and/or in asking the court to issue an order based on the agreement. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.
FindLaw Network