High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

What should I expect at a Preliminary Proceeding?

Q: I recently filed a petition to request a Modification for the Courts to create schedule for my Child’s Father. I have Sole Custody and he has reasonable visitation, but he doesn’t schedule his visits with me he just shows up at my house. do the courts normally issue a temporary visitation schedule until the hearing?

A: David’s Answer: At the preliminary proceeding, the Judge usually ensures service was properly made, whether the parties want assignment of counsel or an adjournment to hire an attorney, and assess the need for assignment of an attorney to represent the child(ren). Yes, the Court can issue an interim order at the preliminary proceeding, though for a variety of reasons its unlikely. Schedule a consult with a White Plains Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network