High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Last year I agreed to joint legal custody but now I regret it. How to change to sole custody?

Q: Last year my ex took me to court for custody. He wanted joint custody. He was given a visitation schedule and the judge had told us to start a new, so I agreed to joint custody with primary physical custody to me. This past year has been a nightmare though. He is highly disrespectful towards me when I dont agree with him. He calls me numerous profanities. I tell him not to speak to me like that and he continues. There has been nothing for us to make decisions on. When the court order was created everything had been set up already. Her religion, her health insurance, her school and her after school program. He wants a say in all of those things but everything was already set up before he was given joint legal and our daughter is 7 years old. He lives in yonkers and I live in the bronx. He nitpicks on everything. He criticizes the way I do her hair, the clothes I put her in when she visits him. How can I get sole custody?

A: David’s Answer: Keep a careful paper-trail – e-mail him immediately if he’s disrespectful or curses, telling him to please stop. Doing so serves to create evidence which can be used against him in court. Always take the high road – if if insults you, simply ask him to be respectful as you will not tolerate disrespectful language. Your next step would be to file a petition for modification. You should also schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network