Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Last year I agreed to joint legal custody but now I regret it. How to change to sole custody?

Q: Last year my ex took me to court for custody. He wanted joint custody. He was given a visitation schedule and the judge had told us to start a new, so I agreed to joint custody with primary physical custody to me. This past year has been a nightmare though. He is highly disrespectful towards me when I dont agree with him. He calls me numerous profanities. I tell him not to speak to me like that and he continues. There has been nothing for us to make decisions on. When the court order was created everything had been set up already. Her religion, her health insurance, her school and her after school program. He wants a say in all of those things but everything was already set up before he was given joint legal and our daughter is 7 years old. He lives in yonkers and I live in the bronx. He nitpicks on everything. He criticizes the way I do her hair, the clothes I put her in when she visits him. How can I get sole custody?

A: David's Answer: Keep a careful paper-trail - e-mail him immediately if he's disrespectful or curses, telling him to please stop. Doing so serves to create evidence which can be used against him in court. Always take the high road - if if insults you, simply ask him to be respectful as you will not tolerate disrespectful language. Your next step would be to file a petition for modification. You should also schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions