High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

If I moved out my family home is it legal for my husband to change the locks?

Q: I’m going through a divorce and my husband changed the locks on the doors. after two months of me moving out with the children.

A: David’s Answer: Generally the answer is no – NY does not recognize “self-help” in terms of one’s residence. He would need to have a court order of exclusive occupancy to technically do what he did. You should call a Bronx Divorcee attorney to schedule a consult for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network